Advantages of Rabbit Farming :
- Rabbits are small sized animal. There are many advantages of commercial rabbit farming in India. The main advantages are described below.
- Rabbits are small sized animal. So, they require less space, feed, care and management. You can easily raise rabbits in your farm, backyard, terrace and even at home.
- Required capital/investment for starting rabbit farming business is very low. You can start with a very little investment. (Eg: Rs 10,000/- to Rs 15,000/-)
- Rabbits grow rapidly and gain maturity very fast like broiler chickens. They become suitable for slaughtering purpose within 3 to 4 months.
- Rabbit meat is very nutritious and tasty. It is lower in cholesterol and fat and higher in protein. All aged and all types of people can easily consume and digest rabbit meat.
- In small scale farming, you can feed your rabbits various types of foods including waste vegetables, easily available leaves, grains available in the home etc.
- Rabbit has a very high reproduction capacity. One female rabbit can give birth of kids after every 30 days and 2 to 8 kids per delivery.
- Rabbit farming can also be a great source of income and employment.
- Unemployed educated young people can create an income and employment opportunities by raising rabbits commercially.
- Women can also raise some rabbits with other household animals or birds to earn some extra income or to full fill their daily family nutrition demand.
- Rabbit farming is also very pleasuring and entertaining. Even, you can do this business with your current job or occupation.
There are numerous breeds available throughout the world. Some of them are highly productive. Some breeds are very suitable for farming in India according to our weather. Most productive and suitable rabbit breeds are listed below.
- White Giant
- Black Giant
- Grey Giant
- Flemish Giant
- New Zealand White
- New Zealand Red
- Soviet Chinchilla
Rabbits can be raised in both deep litter system and cage system. You can easily make a small shed at the backyard with a very small investment. Good housing or shed is necessary for keeping the rabbits free from weather conditions, rain, sun and various types of predators like dogs or cats etc.
- Good food always ensure good health and proper growth. So, always try to feed your animal’s high quality and nutritious food. Generally, rabbits can eat and consume all types of grains, legumes and green fodders like Lucerne, Hedge Lucerne, Agathi, and various types of kitchen wastes including carrots, cabbage leaves and other vegetable wastes. In case of raising rabbits by feeding concentrate food, try to provide them some green food.
- For 1 kg body weight of rabbit, you can feed those about 80 grams of concentrate food and 100 grams of green food. Along with good and nutritious food try to provide them sufficient amount of fresh and clean water according to their demand.
Rabbits become suitable for breeding within their 5 to 6 months of age. You should use male rabbits for breeding purpose at their 1 year of age to get quality young rabbits. Always use healthy rabbits for breeding with proper age and body weight. Take extra care of the male rabbit used for breeding purpose and take good care of pregnant rabbits.
For better production, you must have to take good care of your animals. Generally, diseases are less in rabbits. Healthy rabbits become very active with a shiny hair coat. But if anyhow something goes wrong, then you have to take necessary steps immediately.
AKN Farm benefits for the members :
Below listed service are provided by us for our members.
- Training and certification will be provided on Rabbit farming
- High quality animals will be provided for members with minimum age of 7 to 8 months on chipper price.
- Equipment’s will be provided for rabbit farming which includes (Rabbit cages with different size, Drinker Nipple, Feeder box, User guide, Rabbit farming information CD, Meat Slaughter equipment’s, Hydroponic system tray’s)
- We provide concentrated feed for high growth, Feed supplements, Grass seeds, Medicine’s.
- Online payment through gateway options and buy back facility with multi options.
- Member ship cards
- Annual best farmer recognition awards.
- Rabbit meat cooking guide.
- Regular consultations from expert vet doctors.
- Helping to avail Bank loan and project reports for the same.